Are you watching your life go by from the sidelines due to persistent foot, knee, hip, or back pain? Are you no longer able to stay active, play with your kids, or do the things you love? The problem may be misaligned feet.
At our Lee’s Summit office, we see many people with a common problem called talotarsal displacement, which is a misalignment in the bones of the back half of the foot. This often causes a gait abnormality called hyperpronation. Essentially, it means that when you take a step, your ankle bone falls out of line with your heel, your arch flattens, and the front of your foot turns too far outward.
Fortunately, we offer an advanced solution to treat this misalignment. It’s a minimally invasive surgical procedure called HyProCure, and it can dramatically improve, eliminate, and even prevent pain. Foot Care Specialist Joel Foster, DPM, is the only Atlas-certified podiatrist in Missouri who offers this treatment option for fixing pain from misaligned feet.
The Problem with Misaligned Feet
Because your feet are situated at the very foundation of your entire standing skeletal structure, misalignments and deformities can lead to pain and injury in multiple areas. When your feet aren’t positioned properly, bones and joints throughout the body must adjust and compensate. Over the long term, that could lead to far-ranging problems:
You can treat the symptoms of these conditions, but as long as the feet remain misaligned, the pain will keep returning. If you want more permanent relief, you need to correct the misalignment in the first place.
how Hyprocure Works
In a healthy foot, there is a small, naturally occurring gap known as the sinus tarsi situated between the ankle bone and heel bone. However, in a foot affected by talotarsal displacement, that gap has collapsed, throwing the joint out of alignment.
HyProCure is a specially designed titanium stent that is inserted into that gap. This keeps the sinus tarsi from collapsing, and because your whole body is interconnected, it also corrects painful misalignments throughout the feet, legs, hips, and back, too.
As your body heals from the procedure, the scar tissue that forms around the grooves in the stent lock it into place. However, if necessary, it can be easily removed later.
The procedure requires only a small incision (usually less than one inch long) and takes about 20 minutes.
Why Choose HyProcure?
HyProCure can be compared with both custom orthotics and a more traditional rearfoot surgery as a treatment option for hyperpronation. It has significant advantages over both approaches.
Hyprocure Vs. Orthotics
Custom orthotics are the gold standard option for non-invasive care, and can bring significant relief. In fact, we fit them for patients frequently in our office. They have their place.
But there are also some disadvantages. Orthotics don’t correct the fundamental problem with your feet, and they only work when you’re wearing them.
Furthermore, you might need multiple sets of orthotics for different shoes, and you won’t get any assistance when barefoot. And eventually, your orthotics will need to be replaced when they break, wear out, or just aren’t the right “prescription” for you anymore.
By contrast, HyProCure is a permanent, internal solution that can provide a lifetime of relief in just half an hour. No need to buy inserts every few years, switch them in and out of shoes, or deal with any of the hassles.
HyProCure vs. Traditional Hindfoot Reconstruction
So what makes HyProCure such a massive leap forward when compared to a traditional reconstructive surgery? While both “fix your feet,” HyProCure has many clear and significant advantages, with essentially no drawbacks:
- Better long-term results. With HyProCure, no joints need to be fused, and full, normal hindfoot motion can still occur post-surgery. No bones need to be cut. No joints need to be destroyed. These just aren’t the case with traditional surgeries, and a big reason why HyProCure’s success rates are so high.
- Greater convenience. Inserting the stent only requires a 20-minute appointment. There’s no need to be hospitalized. You’re in and out on the same day.
- Faster recovery. Because HyProCure is minimally invasive, the overall recovery time is fast. Most people are back to wearing normal shoes within a week, walking within a few weeks, and full recovery within 6-8 weeks.
- Lower risk of complications. The fact that it’s minimally invasive also means a lower risk of infections and other complications, as well as less visible scarring. Because it minimizes pressure spots along the sole, it’s one of the safest foot and ankle surgical procedures for patients with diabetes.
- Fully reversible. Although it’s only necessary in extremely rare circumstances, the HyProCure stent can be easily removed if needed with minimal difficulty. Traditional surgeries are obviously not reversible.
- Safe for all ages. Because the sinus tarsi space reaches adult size and strength by age 3, HyProCure can be safely performed on children and adults, and a stent implanted in childhood will typically continue to work well into adulthood.
If you’d like to do some additional research before asking us for a consultation—or in the meantime as you wait for your appointment date—please feel free to review the following resources:
- HyProCure patient guidebook
- HyProCure FAQs
- Patient testimonials
- Physician testimonials
- Published studies
Get Your Feet Fixed
If your orthotics aren’t really providing the level of pain relief you need, or you just want a more permanent solution, then we would consider surgery.
In this realm, HyProCure is a dramatic improvement over a traditional rearfoot reconstruction in almost every conceivable way.
To learn more about this outstanding treatment procedure, or to set up an appointment with Dr. Joel Foster in Lee’s Summit, MO, please reach out to us online or give our office a call at (816) 246-4222.